Call to Action: Join a White-Line Picket Protest near you.
Following rising anger among victims and survivors, the families of the Time for Truth Campaign will hold a series of white-line picket protests across the north of Ireland on Saturday (10th July) against the British Government’s proposed Legacy Bill. The families fear Britain wants to legislate to bury its war crimes and protect state killers.
Time for Truth Campaign has added additional locations to its protests from two weeks ago to accommodate rising support throughout the North of Ireland. The families will demand:
- · NO amnesty for murderers in the British armed forces;
- · NO political interference in due process of the law, including legacy inquests, civil actions and judicial reviews;
- · NO stay on current or future prosecutions.
PROTESTS WHEN – Saturday 10th July 2021, 12 – 12:30pm
(1) Colin: Michael Ferguson Roundabout
(2) Upper Falls: Groves/O’Reilly Corner
(3) Blackmountain: Springfield Road
(4) Lower Falls: International Wall
(5) North Belfast: Antrim Road (New Lodge Rd to Newington)
(6) South/East: Sean Grahams Bookies
(7) Dungannon: Ann Street
(8) Derry: Free Derry Wall
(9) Fermanagh: Main Street, Lisnaskea
(10) Coalisland: Lineside, Coalisland
(11) Loughinisland: O’Toole’s Bar, The Heights
(12) Newry: Courthouse
(13) Lurgan: T.B.C.
(14) South Derry: Kilrea
WHO – FAMILIES OF THE TIME FOR TRUTH CAMPAIGN
If media can confirm attendance at any location, email Ciarán email@example.com to arrange a local contact for interview.
Spokesperson for the Time for Truth Campaign, Ciarán MacAirt said:
“The Time for Truth campaign is mobilising against the British Government’s attempts to bury its war crimes and protect its murderers under the cover of Covid-19. The latest proposals by it to deny families Article-2 compliant investigations or access to due process of the law will not be tolerated.
Our peaceful protests continue on Saturday (10th July) and will be carried out within current Covid-19 guidelines.”
“We have organised a series of white-line picket protests across the 6 counties in opposition to the British Government’s proposed Legacy Bill at Westminster. We had to add locations to accommodate the growing and widespread support we received following our protests two weeks ago.”
“Our demands are modest as we want the British Government to do little but honour its own word and our basic human rights.”
“We ask families to show their support again and join a white-line picket near them. Show the British Government that we will stand against any attempt to cover up its war crimes and protect its criminals.”
NOTES FOR EDITORS
For further comment, email Ciarán firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information on the Time for Truth Campaign, visit http://tftcampaign.com/about-time-for-truth/.
Time for Truth’s modest demands:
· Implement the Stormont House Agreement in a human rights compliant manner and properly resource its mechanisms for dealing with the legacy of the past;
· Provide proper funding for the Lord Chief Justice`s 5-year legacy inquest plan;
· Provide adequate funding to allow the Office of the Police Ombudsman to complete outstanding historic investigations;
· Fulfil outstanding Weston Park legacy Agreements and hold a public inquiry into the State murder of human rights lawyer Pat Finucane.
The families of the Time for Truth Campaign have campaigned to protect the rights of victims and survivors of the conflict in the face of British Government intransigence and failure to address the legacy of the conflict in the North of Ireland. Our fears over the British Government’s proposed Legacy Bill are shared by leading Human Rights NGO’s, academics and lawyers.